Thursday, March 5, 2009

Rarely "Reality" TV

The so-called reality television shows are such sorry excuses for creativity. I’ll concede that the first few seasons of the “big ones” were pretty ingenious (e.g. Survivor, The Office, American Idol) but the continuous need to one-up themselves has resulted in over-produced shows. Thus making the phrase “reality television” completely ridiculous.

This week, I happened upon episodes of “Wife Swap” and “The Tool Academy.” I initially turned the channel both times, but went back out of curiosity. The participants were so transparent in their efforts to be outrageous and create conflict that I could not believe anybody would watch this junk religiously. Or worse, waste DVR space for these shows.

(And this from a girl who honestly liked to watch Baywatch in college. Who can argue with non-stop sunshine and problems that are always solved in an hour? I never said I was against bad, unrealistic or even formulaic TV, but at least Baywatch didn't claim to be reality.)

Just turn the channel you say? No problem, I much prefer music or even silence in my free time these days. But I’m on my soap box because I have recently witnessed some of the backlash that reality show participants face with increasing regularity. I know the mother of one such participant who recently had her life turned up-side down. Oh, the details were outrageous!

But this gal is a tough cookie and was quite aware of the dysfunctional world she was stepping into. She’ll have no problem bouncing back.

But I couldn’t help feeling baffled at the very unprofessional manner employed by the producers. Text messages at midnight to communicate, update and then contradict themselves? It reeked of disorganization and amateuritty. (No, ameteuritty is not a word, but I’m lobbying for creativity so bear with me.)

Stepping back for a moment, I’m no idiot. These producers are not stupid because it clearly works. People tune in. And people like it. The production company is getting their job done and everybody’s got to earn a living. So who am I to judge people for making the shows or for watching them, right? No problem, I can let them off the hook.

But I have been so disappointed by the peanut gallery of asshats that misrepresent and abuse the dignity of these contestants through fake websites and slanderous gossip. Talk about zero creativity.

Other things disappoint me too, but they unfortunately go along with the territory of putting yourself out there in the public eye. I’m not naïve enough to think that everybody recognizes what I think of as “standards” in life, not to mention the basic rules of civility, but I do believe that they just can’t be happy people.

Sucks to be them I guess! Anybody want to join me for an episode of Nip/Tuck?

No comments:

Post a Comment