Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Carpal Tunnel Surgery

I can't resist posting this pic despite having already posted it on FaceBook.

So many people have asked me, "How did you get carpal tunnel?" Well, since I am taking a hiatus from paid employment, I rarely do anything repetitive (with the exception of verbal repetition about sharing, being polite and all other things motherly). And I have learned that many cases of carpal tunnel syndrome are in fact genetic. Even people whose jobs require repetitive motion often have a genetic tendency. Add that to the list of things I can blame on my parents.

The actual carpal tunnel open release surgery was interesting (due in part to the lovely valium). The tingling and numbness were relieved immediately but the incision site is painful. My surgeon refuses to do the surgery laparoscopically -- she has seen nerves severed during the procedure -- so the incision is about an inch long.
Honestly, the part I disliked about this whole saga was people telling me that it wasn't a big deal. I realize they were trying to ease my concerns but it felt dismissive.
Hand therapy yesterday was a joke, but the therapist was really intense about reps and sets. Eye contact with her was painful. My thenar muscle (at base of thumb) is so weak it was quivering! It gave me the giggles. The therapist gave me a courtesy laugh and then started the staring contest again. Meanwhile, it has been a drag to limit the use of my right hand when I'm with the kids but I've been told that the more I baby this wrist the quicker my recovery.
My left wrist feels brand new after the cortisone shot I received (same day as right hand surgery). Too bad it's not permanent. Curiously enough, the strengthening exercises prescribed for my right hand are forbidden for the left hand (although the range of motion exercises are approved for both). All I care about is starting golf league on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment